Illinois

Politics that impact boating and boating towns, News in the area, and anything to do with the happenings of our site.

Moderators: Coz, SadReality

Illinois

Postby easylivin » Tue May 28, 2013 2:19 pm

This from Dan Duffy, our State Representative:

Tuesday Update: We are in our final week of Legislative Session for 2013. In typical fashion, the majority party (which controls the General Assembly with a supermajority and can pass any bill they want - without one Republican vote) are not getting along. Speaker Madigan and his former right hand man, President Cullerton, are at odds over major bills such as; the Budget, Pension Reform, Gaming Expansion, and Concealed Carry. We are all in a holding pattern while they are busy flexing their political muscle and deciding which pork projects they need to give out to gain votes. It would be nice if they would stop playing political games with people’s lives. This will be a long week.

Here's more on the pension mess: http://news.yahoo.com/illinois-house-de ... 27050.html
I am therefore calling for repeal or complete reform of the Affordable Care Act to protect our employers, our industry, and our most important asset: our members and their families.
~Kinsey M. Robinson, President - United Union of Roofers
easylivin
The Bandit of Brandenberg Lake

Boat Model: 2004 Rinker 270

Advertisement

Re: Illinois

Postby easylivin » Fri May 31, 2013 9:11 pm

Another update from Dan Duffy, our State Senator

Gay Marriage, Pensions, & House adjourning: The House is getting ready to end session. They are going to leave without calling the Gay Marriage Bill (bill passed Senate but supporters in House don’t have enough votes), the House already passed comprehensive Pension Reform, SB1, but President Cullerton killed it in the Senate. Speaker Madigan is refusing to negotiate with Cullerton…the House is leaving!? This state is going to continue to be a laughingstock & embarrassment because we are now adding $17 MILLION dollars EACH DAY in NEW interest payments on our Pension Debt and the legislative leaders have refused – once again – to come to terms on this issue. UNBELIEVABLE!
I am therefore calling for repeal or complete reform of the Affordable Care Act to protect our employers, our industry, and our most important asset: our members and their families.
easylivin

Postby easylivin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:20 am

Dan Duffy:
Final Post for 2013 Legislative Session - Democrats Just Can’t Get Along: Senate is officially adjourned for the year. In final hours we passed a good, statewide Concealed Carry bill and a Fracking bill. The NUMBER ONE priority – a Pension Reform Bill – didn’t pass. I’m sure we will be called back for a “special session” by the Governor…but if the three top Democrat leaders (Speaker Madigan, President Cullerton, & Gov. Quinn) continue to fight, insult, and disagree with each other…then nothing will happen and the state will continue on its path to bankruptcy. Thanks for you involvement and input. Keep speaking out. Please STAY engaged!
easylivin

Postby Knuckleheaded » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:31 am

No new news here. Dan Duffy, a Republican, blames the Democrats for not getting anything done. However I don't see this as just the Democrats, as Duffy attempts to deflectively paint it. It's the Republicans as well, including Duffy, who voted for Mad Mike Madigan's SB1, which clearly violated the Illinois Constitution's pension protection clause, that pensions "shall not be diminished or impaired". Imagine that! Politicians knowingly voting for a bill which obviously violates our constitution, which We Are One had promised to litigate, running up more costs for the state.

Too bad Cullerton's bill wasn't considered more seriously by the Republicans. We would have a solution that was supported by We Are One and on the road to beginning to solve this mess that Illinois politicians have created by shortchanging the pension systems for the past 40 years.

Then again, the Illinois Retired Teacher's Association is threatening to litigate ANY changes in pensions, again referring to the "shall not be diminished or impaired" clause.

However, they did pass a bill which shifts pensions costs for college professors from the state to the colleges. This will obviously increase local property tax rates.
Knuckleheaded
Raider of Redhead Lake
Raider of Redhead Lake

Postby Knuckleheaded » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:38 am

From the other side of the aisle, here's John Cullerton's update on the pension mess.

When I became Senate President I took an oath to uphold the constitution and I made a promise to make the Senate an open chamber where member legislation gets a fair hearing. Anyone following the issue of pension reform can confirm that I have honored those commitments this session.

I personally have worked to craft reform proposals that might satisfy the constitution and while achieving considerable savings. To date the Senate has worked to pass five different pieces of legislation designed to reform our systems within the confines of the constitution. Not one of these plans was brought to the House floor for a vote.

My preference for adhering to the plain language of the constitution hasn’t prevented me from working with other leaders who interpret the pension clause differently. That’s been evidenced by the fact that I refused to block votes on opposing pension plans.

I crafted a compromise plan that would have made unilateral cuts the law while including a default constitutional savings plan. I then voted for a second plan and sponsored a third plan to impose unilateral cuts pension benefits.

As Senate President, I could have buried those proposals to satisfy my personal political philosophy. That is not why I am Senate President and that is not how I lead.

The Senate has spoken repeatedly and consistently on pension reform. Still, this issue is not resolved. I am committed to staying at the table until a comprehensive solution is passed into law. I invite Governor Quinn, Speaker Madigan and all leaders of the General Assembly to continue with me.
Knuckleheaded
Raider of Redhead Lake
Raider of Redhead Lake

Postby easylivin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:52 am

The problem with Cullerton's bill is it barely scratched the surface of the pension mess. As for the constitutionality of Madigan's bill, guess we'll never know.
easylivin

Postby Knuckleheaded » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:16 am

At times I suspect that crafty, sly Mad Mike Madigan deliberately crafted the SB1 bill knowing full well that it sounded good, but would never pass a vote or meet constitutional muster. That way he can project the image that he did all he could, while avoiding controversy and angering the unions as his daughter contemplates running for Governor.

But that smacks of paranoia on my part. Oh wait, that's my pension that they're effing with! Perhaps my paranoia is well deserved.
Knuckleheaded
Raider of Redhead Lake
Raider of Redhead Lake

Postby easylivin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:35 am

Knuckleheaded wrote:At times I suspect that crafty, sly Mad Mike Madigan deliberately crafted the SB1 bill knowing full well that it sounded good, but would never pass a vote or meet constitutional muster. That way he can project the image that he did all he could, while avoiding controversy and angering the unions as his daughter contemplates running for Governor.

But that smacks of paranoia on my part. Oh wait, that's my pension that they're effing with! Perhaps my paranoia is well deserved.

Truly sorry you're personally involved with this mess. Hope the idiots who run this state can come up with something that protects those who depend on their benefits but provides a long term solution for the state. Even with one party rule, they can't come up with a happy middle ground.
easylivin

Postby Knuckleheaded » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:36 am

Thank you for your empathy easy.
Knuckleheaded
Raider of Redhead Lake
Raider of Redhead Lake

Postby easylivin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:02 am

Knuckleheaded wrote:Thank you for your empathy easy.

No problem. Neither government or business should approve things they cannot afford. One could blame the unions but it takes two to tango. Workers, unionized or otherwise, business or government, deserve to know that they can count on the retirement income they were promised. That said, it's time to bend the cost curve for future retirees. I don't have all the answers but a line needs to be drawn somewhere because the current track we're on is unsustainable. The democrats in power know this but you're probably right. Pretending to be serious about the issue, knowing it won't pass, might be the plan Madigan had all along. Sad.
easylivin

Postby easylivin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:05 pm

From our Senator Dan Duffy:

Audit found that the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) spends majority of Taxpayer Road Fund Construction Money on salaries & expenses – NOT road construction. $13.6 BILLION out of last $25Billion in taxpayer money went to running the department & growing IDOT. Meanwhile our roads deteriorate. “Spokeswoman Jae Miller said about 75 percent of the Road Fund goes toward IDOT expenses.” Does this surprise you?

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/ ... und-Audit/
easylivin

Postby davel501 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:59 pm

Wouldn't salaries and expenses include the maintenance of the current roads?
As boaters we spend as we learn and learn as we spend. Save some money and take a FREE IDNR Approved Boating Safety Course: http://www.boat-ed.com/illinois/

"Only fools and passengers drink at sea." - Allan Villiers
davel501
Cutthroat of Channel Lake
Cutthroat of Channel Lake

Boat Model: 24' 2010 Yamaha 242 LTD S
Boat Name:: (In Recovery)

Postby Ru goofy 2 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:17 pm

No. Those fees would be paid to sub contractors. 55% to run their office? Geez........
No trees were killed in the posting of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ru goofy 2
Fox River Ruffian
Fox River Ruffian

Boat Model: Baja 232 Islander
Boat Name:: Mai-Tai Roa Ae'

Postby easylivin » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:00 pm

The idiot democrats in Springfield finally got something done. Concealed and Carry is now a reality. Could pension reform be next?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 6935.story
easylivin

Postby ov10mech » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:24 pm

easylivin wrote:The idiot democrats in Springfield finally got something done. Concealed and Carry is now a reality. Could pension reform be next?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 6935.story

They created some new jobs and also raised revenues.

Fiscal Note, House Floor Amendment No. 2 (Illinois State Police)
HB 148 (H-AM 2) fiscal impact is as follows: With a conservative estimate of 325,000 permit applications in the first year, the Illinois State Police (ISP) will require twenty-five new civilian personnel plus two contractual employees for six months each, and $51,000 for equipment and materials representing an increase of approximately $2,978,038 to properly administer this mandate. HB 148 will also generate revenue for the Illinois State Police. The FY 12 total revenue projections are estimated to be at $31,875,000. These estimates are conservative and based on record levels of FOID card applications and firearm transfer requests over the last four years. At the same time, the Illinois State Police will continue to process record levels of FOID applications.
ov10mech
Pirate
Pirate

Postby Knuckleheaded » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:55 am

The FY 12 total revenue projections are estimated to be at $31,875,000.

Hey! There's a source for some of the diverted pension funds that have been given to other line items for the past 40 years. Will it go to the police pension fund at least?
Knuckleheaded
Raider of Redhead Lake
Raider of Redhead Lake

Postby easylivin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:41 am

From Dan Duffy:

The Democrat leaders are getting hot under the collar this summer! Since the top Democrat leaders in the state (President Cullerton, Speaker Madigan & Gov) control all legislation yet can not get along or agree on anything - Gov. Quinn is now using his power to try and "suspend" all lawmakers pay...he is setting up his own circular firing squad.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... wmaker-pay

Would love to see Melinda "Let's Tax Boaters" Bush go without pay!!!
easylivin

Postby easylivin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Knuckleheaded wrote:
The FY 12 total revenue projections are estimated to be at $31,875,000.

Hey! There's a source for some of the diverted pension funds that have been given to other line items for the past 40 years. Will it go to the police pension fund at least?

What makes you think pension funds were diverted? I understood the Democrats promised things for votes that we couldn't afford without more tax increases. What we end up with is underfunded pensions. But, they got elected and that's all that seems to matter in this state. No wonder our federal government is bleeding red with a Chicagoan running things.
easylivin

Postby easylivin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:49 pm

From Dan Duffy:

Quinn is the reincarnation of Rod Blagojevich, his former running mate! Let’s review most recent Pension mess Gov. Quinn created:
- Quinn calls special session on June 19th to set up a “Pension Conference Committee” to address our $100Billion pension debt.
- Quinn’s fellow Democrats are put in charge to lead committee.
- Quinn immediately starts publicly insulting his own committee leaders.
- Quinn refuses to show up to committee hearings himself and - after years in office - REFUSES to discuss, write, or present any Pension Reform plan of his own.
- July 10th, Quinn moves to “suspend” legislators pay for not solving pension fiasco by his arbitrary deadline.
This is the definition of dysfunctional leadership…Quinn learned how to lead from Blago!
easylivin

Postby Knuckleheaded » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:34 am

After Madigan's Metra scandal that just surfaced, Mad Mike's daughter Lisa suddenly announced that she's not going to run for Governor. Now, will the voters in Madigan's district vote him out? By the way, Madigan makes his money from being a real estate tax attorney, with his clients including a number of wealthy republicans, so he smartly plays both sides of the fence. One term Quinn is politically dead. Governor candidates are starting to announce.

Can the machine be dismantled? Or at least hindered?
Knuckleheaded
Raider of Redhead Lake
Raider of Redhead Lake

Next

Return to Local Politics, News, and Site Feedback