Merc 496 Mag and HO Seawater Pump Repair Kits

Anything to do with your boat, say it here. Got problems? Need Help? Want to Brag? Do it here.

Moderators: Coz, SadReality

Merc 496 Mag and HO Seawater Pump Repair Kits

Postby grandsport1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:31 pm

WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!

We have an order of Seawater Pump Repair Kits coming in, and are offering them up for sale today! Includes everything you need: all wear plates, gaskets, o-ring, and genuine Mercruiser impeller.

This is a great, affordable alternative to replacing a costly brass water pump housing. Relatively easy in terms of install, but does require slight modifications to housing. We've installed a few of these with no complaints.

While supplies last at $149.95!

Ask us about installs on your application today!

847-458-6488

FULL SALES, SERVICE, AND ACCESSORIES!

SPECIAL DEALS FOR LOCALS!
grandsport1
Captain
Captain

Advertisement

Re: Merc 496 Mag and HO Seawater Pump Repair Kits

Postby Outlaw Hawaan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:53 pm

I'm sure I'll be in for one. I got 4 years and 250 hours on mine now.
Outlaw Hawaan
The Bandit of Brandenberg Lake

Postby KnotSo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:48 pm

That IS amazing!!! Even the plastic pumps didn't last that long. But get it changed before you have to go fishin' for broken impeller peices. Keep in mind when you take the old impeller out, you should have vains in tact but worn & none missing! If they aren't all there, they are going create a blockage which will make the new pump fail premature! It is possible to have a blockage on both sides of the pump is what I'm getting at! Incoming water as well as water leaving the pump. Don't let it go any longer!
KnotSo
Pillager of Pistakee
Pillager of  Pistakee

Postby Naughty Kitty » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:02 pm

I was hoping a local dealer would pick up their product (think I even forwarded this info to BK Boats & Sleds last year). Everything I have read about these kits is positive and after seeing what the Blarneys Island silt does to the brass, having SS end plates are a welcome option.
If it's not a Cat...Then it must be a Dog!!!
Naughty Kitty

Boat Model: 31' Warlock SXT
Boat Name:: Naughty Kitty

Postby geeforce » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:58 pm

Who Makes This Kit.Anybody Know?
geeforce
Raider of Redhead Lake
Raider of Redhead Lake

Postby Naughty Kitty » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:06 pm

its made by R&R, but you won't get is for a lower price unless you buy (10) of them at a time; a buck & half is same price they charge for small quantities.
Naughty Kitty

Postby geeforce » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:40 am

Naughty Kitty wrote:its made by R&R, but you won't get is for a lower price unless you buy (10) of them at a time; a buck & half is same price they charge for small quantities.

Looked On The Web But I Couldn't Find This R&R.
geeforce
Raider of Redhead Lake
Raider of Redhead Lake

Postby tbear » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:36 am

Naughty Kitty wrote:I was hoping a local dealer would pick up their product (think I even forwarded this info to BK Boats & Sleds last year). Everything I have read about these kits is positive and after seeing what the Blarneys Island silt does to the brass, having SS end plates are a welcome option.

Jeff, is this the kit/modification procedure?

http://www.jcmarinellc.com/water_pump_kit.htm
tbear

Postby never satisfied » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:12 pm

Just picked up the last 2 kits GSC had in stock yesterday. Did a trial fit in an old pump I had in the garage and the kit fits perfectly! The guys at GSC also gave me a bottle of BioKleen to try for free as well. Its nice to know that there is a marina close by that always has what i am looking for!
FYI, that Rand R company that used to make these kits went out of business and I believe that this JCmarine that tbear listed above is where GSC is getting these kits from.
Formula 292 Fastec
never satisfied
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Outlaw Hawaan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:56 pm

I was there yesterday to get mine and they didnt give me no Bio Kleen. I even had the bottle in my hand when he walked out. NS, you got 496's in there? Or its the same kit for the 350's.
Outlaw Hawaan

Postby never satisfied » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:04 pm

Well I guess i was in the right place at the right time for a change! I have the 350's in mine but its the same brass pump as on the 496's.
Formula 292 Fastec
never satisfied
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Liquid Lifestyle » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:28 am

never satisfied wrote:Well I guess i was in the right place at the right time for a change! I have the 350's in mine but its the same brass pump as on the 496's.

I also have a 350 Mag, but have the brass pump out of the 496. I just changed the impeller last season (from Grand Sport) but will be looking at this kit next year.

I don't like going more than 2 or 3 seasons on an impeller from the chain.
I spent a lot of time relaxing on the boat.... and the rest I wasted.
bottle service looks with body shot attitude
Liquid Lifestyle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Boat Model: Regal 2450
Boat Name:: Liquid Lifestyle

Postby never satisfied » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:40 am

Liquid Lifestyle wrote:
never satisfied wrote:Well I guess i was in the right place at the right time for a change! I have the 350's in mine but its the same brass pump as on the 496's.

I also have a 350 Mag, but have the brass pump out of the 496. I just changed the impeller last season (from Grand Sport) but will be looking at this kit next year.

I don't like going more than 2 or 3 seasons on an impeller from the chain.

Seeing as how we spend the most time on the chain, I got in the habit of changing them every year! It is amazing at how fast you can chew up a brass pump around here. I figure $70 for 2 impellers every year is cheap insurance.
Formula 292 Fastec
never satisfied
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Naughty Kitty » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:11 pm

The last thing you want to deal with is a piece of torn rubber caught some where in your cooling system :(
Naughty Kitty

Postby Naughty Kitty » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:19 pm

tbear wrote:
Naughty Kitty wrote:I was hoping a local dealer would pick up their product (think I even forwarded this info to BK Boats & Sleds last year). Everything I have read about these kits is positive and after seeing what the Blarneys Island silt does to the brass, having SS end plates are a welcome option.

Yup that's the kit Ted. although looking at the pictures, the materials look off. The small disk that drops into the bottom of the pump cavity looks like stainless (I though it was also secured with adhesive), but the other end plate looks like brass (the spacer is stainless). Maybe it is just a poor picture, but when R&R made them all three where stainless.
Naughty Kitty

Postby never satisfied » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:02 pm

The kits I bought have the stainless plate to drop in the pump housing and stainless for the end cap along with 2 gaskets for on each side of the plate on the end cap. it looks like you still use the o-ring that comes with the impellers as well. Waiting for GSC to send me the revised install instructions as it sounded like I dont need to modify the pump bracket as much as R and R was saying to.
Formula 292 Fastec
never satisfied
Admiral
Admiral

Postby tbear » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:38 pm

Naughty Kitty wrote:
tbear wrote:

Yup that's the kit Ted. although looking at the pictures, the materials look off. The small disk that drops into the bottom of the pump cavity looks like stainless (I though it was also secured with adhesive), but the other end plate looks like brass (the spacer is stainless). Maybe it is just a poor picture, but when R&R made them all three where stainless.

Some of it looked like Brass to me too. If anything, the procedure is good for the DIY installer.....
tbear

Postby grandsport1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:42 pm

Just popping in to clarify on some things!

These are the kits from JC, and are supposed to be easier to install than the R&R kits. We sold out on our initial order in hours! We have more coming in this week, another 10, and 5 are already accounted for! :mrgreen:

never satisfied wrote:The kits I bought have the stainless plate to drop in the pump housing and stainless for the end cap along with 2 gaskets for on each side of the plate on the end cap. it looks like you still use the o-ring that comes with the impellers as well.

^This! No brass components added, all stainless plates. Merc impeller and o-ring is used also.

never satisfied wrote:Waiting for GSC to send me the revised install instructions as it sounded like I dont need to modify the pump bracket as much as R and R was saying to.

A revised set of instructions are coming with our next order! They were supposed to be finalized over the weekend but were not. We should have them Thursday, and I'm sorry for the delay.

Feel free to call us with any questions, 847-458-6488!

Cheers,
Team Grand Sport

grandsport1
Captain
Captain

Postby never satisfied » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:23 pm

A revised set of instructions are coming with our next order! They were supposed to be finalized over the weekend but were not. We should have them Thursday, and I'm sorry for the delay.

No sweat, I ended up having to go out of town this week for work anyway so I havent had a chance to install them yet anyway. Just fax me the directions when ever you get them.

Thanks again!
Formula 292 Fastec
never satisfied
Admiral
Admiral

Postby grandsport1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:13 pm

Stopping back in!

Some of you might notice, that JC has a "Special" on their kits shown on their site for $89.95! That price is for the kit only without impeller or o-ring and does not include shipping. We add a genuine Mercruiser impeller with o-ring, and don't charge you shipping. Just letting everyone know! :drinkers:

Also, we have printed directions for those who have purchased kits from us. Call or PM me with your e-mail or fax number and I can send it out!

Thanks
Adam at GSC

grandsport1
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to Boat Talk